Sartoris Plantation in "There Was a Queen" (Location)

Location Key: 
Display Label: 
Sartoris Plantation
Type: 
Mansion
Authority : 
Faulkner map
X: 
1213
Y: 
475
Description: 

The Sartoris plantation house is both the center of a cotton plantation and a central site for Faulkner's imagination. Although when it first appeared in his fiction, in Flags in the Dust, it was described as having been burned down by Yankee soldiers during the Civil War and rebuilt during Reconstruction, in this story it is described as the house John Sartoris built when he first arrived in Mississippi. It is a "huge" and "square" mansion (727) and, as in the earlier novel, features a window made from the "panes of colored glass" that Miss Jenny brought from the Sartoris family's ancestral plantation house in Carolina (728).

Role: 
Site of Event
Status: 
Continuous

digyok:node/location/3007