Sartoris Plantation in "Skirmish at Sartoris" (Location)

Location Key: 
Display Label: 
Burned Sartoris Mansion
Type: 
Mansion
Authority : 
Faulkner map
X: 
1215
Y: 
485
Description: 

John Sartoris built the first "big house" on his plantation in the 1830s. This mansion was burned by the Yankees during the Civil War, as described in the earlier Unvanquished short story "Retreat." The remains of the structure are still there, but "the house" that is referred to at the beginning of "Skirmish at Sartoris" (58) must be the former slave cabin behind the big house that Drusilla now occupies. As described in the story, the reconstruction of the mansion is in its early stages: they are still felling timber and cutting boards to rebuild it. Unlike so many of the former plantation houses in Faulkner's fictions, the rebuilt Sartoris place (as described in the last Unvanquished story and elsewhere) is well-preserved even into the 20th century.

Role: 
Only Mentioned in Text
Status: 
Destroyed

digyok:node/location/6690