Holston House in "A Name for the City" (Location)

Location Key: 
Display Label: 
Holston House
Type: 
Office/store
Authority : 
Context (text, as interpreted)
X: 
1258
Y: 
790
Description: 

The Holston House was Jefferson's first tavern, founded by Alexander Holston, one of the town's original three white inhabitants. As the story notes, it "still" exists in Jefferson over a century later, with its "original log walls and puncheon floors and hand-mortised joints . . . still buried somewhere beneath the modern pressed glass and brick veneer and neon tubes" of the mid-20th century hotel (202). The kitchen of the Holston House is the site of "the settlement's first municipal meeting," as the settlers debate the right way to dispose of the settlement's first prisoners of note (206).

Role: 
Site of Event
Status: 
Continuous

digyok:node/location/18532